Saturday, May 17, 2008

24 hours of pure exhilaration and I'm finally here

May 16th, 5:52 AM, Toronto




Allright, I've said my goodbye's and made it into the loading gates at Pearson airport. My flight leaves at 7 AM for a 12:30 arrival in San Francisco. I've been to California but only in the L.A/palm springs area. Actually my California trip was the last time I went on a place...6 years ago.

In 24 hours from now I'll be landing in Taipei, Taiwan. It's hard to beleive that in only 24 hours a person can get to the complete opposite side of the world. What I'm doing today would have taken years and years for someone to do 1000 years ago. All we have to do is fork over a little cash and wait around in airports. However, just because it's easier doesn't means it's less far away. This really is an adventure and I'm looking forward to every minute of it. And right now I'm becoming very excited about flying. Isn't that every kids dream??

It feels great to finally be at the airport ready to go. I've been planning this trip, packing, and saying goodbye to people for so long that I never thought the day would actually come when Iwould be waiting in the airport typing away on my laptop. Time really moves sometimes, I'm going to have to watch out for that when I get to Asia. Asia!!! I can't beleive it.

Ok, now it's time to listen to my brand new iPod (I finally got one yay!). Will report back in San Fran.

Cheer.s


May 18th, Taipei




So didn't get a chance to catch up in SanFran...to be honest I spent all my time watching Flight of the Conchords! Which was great of course.

Here I am in Taipei in the golden china hotel with my new roommate Nate. He's from Ohio and is a very relaxed, down to earth guy. We've just come back from a short jaunt down the street. Taipei is actually quite a beautiful city from what I can tell so far. THere are really nice looking palm trees lining the streets and hundreds and hundreds of scooters.

The flight went on without a hitch (all 24 hours of it). However when I got to the airport there was no one waiting to pick me up so I decided to take a cab. A cab driver asked me to follow him and he led me down a flight of stairs and even further down an elevator to the back of a very dark, sketchy parking lot. He asked me to wait and disappeared around the corner. After about 7 or 8 minutes I decided this was crazy and started to head back upstairs when a man came out and asked me to follow him upstairs. Apparently he was some kind of aiport security and told me in broken english that he and his crew are trying to bust an illegal taxi service trying to take advantage of tourists. I pointed out the illegal cabbie who I had talked to earlier and he was reprimanded appropriately. So I helped solve a crime within my first hour in Taiwan!

Last night I walked around a little around the hotel and actually grabbed a snack from a street vendor down a side ally (sketchy I know haha).

I'm off to find a park. Will report back soon.


No comments: